The City of Cape Town warns motorists who’re on account of renew their car licences in June and July 2021 that they need to accomplish that sooner fairly than later – and ideally on-line.
The metropolis mentioned it expects a peak in renewals, as many licences will expire over this two month interval, because of the Covid-19 lockdown licensing extension given to motorists final year.
It warned additional that a Covid-19 might have a materials affect on its operations, and that motorists ought to plan forward of time.
While the warning comes from Cape Town, the remainder of the nation is prone to see a comparable rush as a part of a knock-on impact from final year’s arduous lockdown. In Joburg, alerts have additionally been despatched out to motorists whose licences expire in July.
This is because of the Covid-19 extension given to motorists whose motorized vehicle licences expired in March, April and May 2020.
“With the recent data indicating a Covid-19 third wave, we encourage customers to please make use of our online service offerings, where possible, and to factor in enough lead time of about three to four weeks from application to receiving the licence, based on the postal service delivery timeframes,” mentioned deputy mayor Ian Neilson.
“We urge customers who are due to renew their discs during this peak period to do so as soon as they can, to avoid unnecessary delays and possible fines.”
The metropolis outlined some tricks to put together for the rush as follows:
- Plan for a turnaround time of roughly three to 4 weeks presently from application to receipt of the licence when making use of on-line by way of e-Services.
- Plan forward and examine your licence disc renewal date.
- The size of queues at motor licensing places of work have diminished typically. However, it could nonetheless appear lengthy because of the social distancing and different Covid-19 measures which are in place.
- If prospects should go to a buyer office in particular person, bear in mind that there’s Covid-19 screening on the entrances and a restricted variety of prospects are allowed in at a time on account of Covid-19 rules. Social distancing is required and should be adhered to and masks are obligatory.
- Motorists solely want their ID for motorized vehicle licensing and registration renewals.
- Motorists are reminded that they don’t seem to be allowed to drive an unlicensed car or a car the place a legitimate licence disc isn’t displayed.
- Motorists are additional reminded to replace their mobile phone numbers and e-mail addresses when making use of and paying for their licences on-line and at licensing places of work as they are going to be receiving renewal reminders by way of their cell telephones or e-mail addresses.
- Senior residents, pregnant prospects and prospects with disabilities are urged to maneuver to the entrance of the queue the place they are going to be assisted as quickly as attainable.
Read: Improvements for driver’s licences in South Africa are coming – together with shorter wait occasions