The Department of Transport has pledged to enhance service supply at driving license testing centres throughout South Africa because it appears to be like to implement Minimum Service Delivery Standards (MSDS).
While requirements have been first printed way back to 2013, the division recognised that there have been nonetheless quite a lot of complaints round lengthy queues and poor service. The most recent MSDS was printed on the finish of 2020 and is at present being applied.
In a presentation on the MSDS to parliament on Wednesday (9 June), the division stated that charters might be erected in these centres to show the providers rendered, the precise prices related and the anticipated time frames of the service.
The charters may also present public contact particulars if the anticipated service doesn’t dwell as much as commonplace.
Other adjustments which are anticipated to assist enhance service supply embody:
- Clear street signage exhibiting the place the centre is positioned, and signage inside the ability highlighting the place providers are out there.
- Centres ought to have enough consumer parking amenities.
- There ought to be enough safety on the amenities, including however not restricted to safety guards, burglar bars and alarms.
- All state tools, including card and Natis seize tools, ought to be insured in opposition to loss or injury.
- Centres ought to have all the mandatory types available and offered freed from cost. These types must also be out there on the division’s web site. There must also be enough employees to help shoppers in finishing these types.
- There have to be enough house inside for seating and queuing, and cover exterior to guard queuing clients from the weather.
- Queues ought to be monitored to make sure that shoppers are in the right queues and that they’ve the entire required paperwork to finish their transaction.
- Average ready times might be established, and providers have to be accomplished in these times.
- A service supply desk ought to be established and staffed in any respect times for bigger centres.
- Business working hours ought to be clearly said and providers ought to be rendered continuous throughout these hours.
- Clients ought to be knowledgeable when their card is on the market for assortment.
- A complaints register ought to be stored to file the complaints of consumers, with an acknowledgement of criticism despatched out inside three days. Centres must also be capable to present month-to-month suggestions on complaints.
In May, transport minister Fikile Mbalula introduced quite a lot of deliberate enhancements for the renewal course of in his division funds speech on Friday (21 May).
Mbalula stated that his division has taken heed of a ‘plethora of complaints’ from members of the general public round driver and car licencing.
“The end-game of our interventions is improved service delivery and enhanced efficiency in the functioning of DLTCs, free of corruption.” he stated.
“We have engaged as the three spheres of government and have agreed on a range of measures that will address the most pressing challenges relating to driver and vehicle licensing.”
Mbalula stated that it will embody:
- Longer working hours at licensing centres;
- The use of expertise to get rid of queues;
- The introduction of a web-based interface for optometrist and medical practitioners to add eye take a look at outcomes on the eNatis.
Read: South Africa’s incoming driving legal guidelines face a critical street block