Here’s what’s happening in and affecting South Africa today:
Coronavirus: Global Covid-19 infections have hit over 103 million confirmed, with the dying toll reaching 2.24 million. In South Africa, there have been 2,649 new circumstances, taking the full reported to 1,458,958. Deaths have reached 44,946 (a every day enhance of 547), whereas recoveries have climbed to 1,318,504, leaving the nation with a steadiness of 95,508 energetic circumstances.
- Vaccine rollout: The standing committee on public accounts (Scopa) has known as on the minister of well being and finance to conduct open and clear tender processes for the storage of the Covid-19 vaccine, noting that authorities was already coping with a lot of firms that registered for the primary time on the eve of the vaccine rollout. The Scopa stated that rushed tenders behind closed doorways led to widespread corruption with Covid-19 PPEs, and it desires authorities to keep away from the identical errors. 
- Wasteful spending: 19 authorities contracts, value R400 million, awarded to the identical firms liable for the Beitbridge border fence mess, are being questioned. The Department of Public Works goes although the method of recouping R27 million spent on the border, which turned out to be a farce. It has been criticised for shifting too slowly, though these accountable have been charged. No extra money must be wasted fixing the fence. A long run revamp has been mooted, however may take 4 years to finish. [ENCA]
- Still struggling: South African tourism authorities say that, regardless of lockdown rules being eased, the sector nonetheless faces a bunch of issues – including that the back-and-forth of getting the business locked down, then opened, then locked down once more, is killing companies. Other points are to do with the narrative across the so-called “South African variant” of Covid-19 – a time period which has caught on abroad. For many companies, the festive season was lost, and the harm has already been finished. [Fin24]
- Above the legislation: The State Capture Commission will lay a felony grievance towards former president Jacob Zuma, who’s overtly defying the nation’s highest court docket by refusing to look earlier than the fee. The fee’s authorized group stated that Zuma is blissful to take pleasure in all of the monetary advantages the Constitution provides him as a former president, however refuses to be beholden to similar legal guidelines when he disagrees with them. He considers himself above the legislation and the Constitution. [EWN]
- Markets: Steps taken to permit the Democrats to go the US stimulus invoice with out Republican assist noticed danger urge for food soar throughout commerce on Tuesday. Local IHS Markit PMI is due today, adopted by EU PMI and CPI in addition to UK PMI, whereas the US is about to launch PMI, ADP employment and numerous non-manufacturing numbers. The rand begins the day on the entrance foot at R14.94 to the greenback, R17.99 to the euro and R20.42 to the pound. Commentary by Peregrine Treasury Solutions. [XE]