South African companies are more and more looking to hire temporary and contract workers due to market uncertainties and sluggish downs, says specialist recruitment agency Michael Page.
The group stated that due to the Covid-19 pandemic, some companies could also be apprehensive about recruiting full-time positions. By comparability, the inherent flexibility of temporary workers makes them a pretty expertise pool.
Whilst varied expertise could also be required in the market at any give time, Michael Page stated the following expertise had been in clear demand for the length of 2020:
- IT Specialists: Technology developments and plenty of organisations’ present process digital transformation, hiring IT specialists on a project-by-project foundation has confirmed to be a working resolution, incorporating the work-from-home flexibility. Having sound processes in place helps as a result of this is able to keep away from the time spent getting the temp workers ‘up to speed’.
- Change Management / Turnaround Specialists: Organisations are having to restructure their companies to accommodate the ‘new normal’. For this, professionals with experience in formulating change methods are in demand, so that companies can develop cultures of agility and responsiveness so as to keep aggressive.
- Finance Project Experts: With many companies adversely impacted when it comes to their funds, specialists are in demand with forecasting and decision-making expertise.
Why South African companies are turning to temporary and contract hiring
With many organisations demanding temporary workers, often on an pressing foundation, the hiring course of tends to be considerably shorter in contrast to that of a everlasting hire, Micahel Page stated.
“This is especially due to the proven fact that a direct begin is generally required from temp roles.
“Ultimately, in today’s fast-paced world, businesses need to plan to drive and execute recovery strategies and transformation projects – this requires talent with the right skills and expertise and more crucially, at the time when they need it most. ”
Taking up a temporary position may also assist professionals study and develop, in addition to keep abreast of adjustments of their trade, the agency stated.
“Talent who’ve been made redundant or discover themselves in an extended job search course of and out of employment, can use temporary jobs to get rid of career gaps
“If it is not a conflict of interest with their current job, professionals can take up temporary work as it may allow them to do something different and also earn an additional income.”
Michael Page stated that there are additionally clear advantages for organisations, together with:
- Productivity doesn’t get hampered throughout unsure instances;
- Hiring ‘plug-and-play’ expertise permits for fast turnaround instances on tasks;
- Continuity on the job for traditional conditions like maternity depart or throughout a everlasting recruitment course of for a task;
- Surge the capability throughout heavy instances or elevated durations of exercise e.g monetary year finish, tasks with tight deadlines, and so forth;
- Temp hiring is a price different as they don’t include the prices usually related to everlasting positions;
- This is an answer for companies to ‘try out’ potential future hires, particularly for difficult markets creating a way of uncertainty round headcount technique;
- If companies have a headcount freeze, or as an example, should not have a authorized entity in South Africa, they will hire temps.
Read: Here’s how a lot money high administrators earn in South Africa