Norma Gigaba reacts contained in the North Gauteng High Court.
Phill Magakoe, Gallo Images
- Norma Gigaba was arrested by the Hawks final July on costs of malicious harm to property and crimen injuria.
- Her lawyer, advocate Dali Mpofu, argued that one other motive for her arrest was to “punish her” for daring to confront her husband, Malusi Gigaba.
- The High Court additionally dominated that info on her digital units be restored.
The Gauteng High Court in Pretoria has dominated that the warrant of arrest for Norma Gigaba and its execution by the Hawks was unlawful.
Judge Cassim Sardiwalla – in a prolonged judgment handed down on Thursday – made the next order:
- Norma Gigaba’s application is granted on an pressing foundation.
- The resolution to use for the warrant of arrest is unlawful.
- The resolution of Hawks officers to execute the warrant of arrest is unlawful.
In addition, the courtroom ordered that the confiscation of her info and communication know-how tools was unlawful and consequently the Hawks have been ordered to revive all info unlawfully faraway from her tools.
Lastly, the Hawks had been directed to return the knowledge which was downloaded from her digital devices.
READ | Norma Gigaba: Arrest by Hawks was a ‘favour’ for Malusi to show me a lesson
This comes after Norma Gigaba, who now goes by her maiden surname Mngoma, challenged her arrest by the Hawks within the High Court, arguing that it was nothing greater than a “favour for her husband”, former finance minister Malusi Gigaba.
The courtroom beforehand heard that, along with contending that Norma Gigaba was arrested as half of an unlawful scheme by the Hawks to grab her units and delete materials from them, her advocate Dali Mpofu, argued that “another motive might have been to punish [her]” or to “teach her a lesson” for daring to confront him and his questionable “friends who apparently aided and abetted his nefarious activities in all spheres”, News24 reported.
Meanwhile, Hawks advocate Dawie Joubert argued that there was “no justification” for her to show to an pressing civil courtroom to problem the pending legal case in opposition to her, earlier than the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court.
The former minister’s estranged spouse was arrested by the Hawks in July 2020 on costs of malicious harm to property and crimen injuria.
It is unclear how this resolution would influence her prosecution earlier than the Justice of the Peace’s courtroom. She is due again within the mentioned courtroom on Friday.
More to comply with.
Did you may touch upon this text? Subscribe to News24 and add your voice to the dialog.