- The US FDA will announce the growth of vaccines to youngsters aged from 12 to 15.
- Indian opposition chief Rahul Gandhi referred to as for a nationwide lockdown.
- Kuwait introduced journey restrictions for unvaccinated individuals.
The US Food and Drug Administration is getting ready to authorize Pfizer Inc and German companion BioNTech’s Covid-19 vaccine for adolescents aged between 12 and 15 years by early subsequent week, the New York Times reported on Monday, citing federal officers aware of the company’s plans.
LIVE | All the latest coronavirus and lockdown updates
* Denmark grew to become the first nation to exclude Johnson & Johnson’s photographs from its vaccination programme over a possible hyperlink to a uncommon however severe kind of blood clot.
* Novavax has advised the European Union it plans to start delivering its Covid-19 vaccine to the bloc towards the finish of this year, new steering that might lead to a proper contract being signed as early as this week, an EU official advised Reuters.
* Germans who’re absolutely vaccinated must be exempt from quarantine on re-entering Germany, Health Minister Jens Spahn mentioned after the authorities cupboard mentioned plans to elevate restrictions for individuals who have had their photographs.
* Indian opposition chief Rahul Gandhi referred to as for a nationwide lockdown as the nation’s tally of coronavirus infections surged previous 20 million on Tuesday, changing into the second nation after the US to go the grim milestone.
* India pulled trainee docs from exams to combat the world’s largest Covid-19 surge, as its vaccinations plummeted from an all-time excessive reached early final month.
* Pfizer is in discussions with India in search of an “expedited approval pathway” for its vaccine, CEO Albert Bourla mentioned on LinkedIn, saying a donation of medicines value greater than $70 million, the company has advised India there was no concern over the security of its Covid-19 vaccines.
* Taiwan grew to become the latest place to ban arrivals from India, because it strikes to forestall new infections, with extra nations reporting circumstances of a variant first recognized in the subcontinent.
* US President Joe Biden is imposing new journey restrictions on India beginning on Tuesday, and barring most non-US residents from coming into the United States.
* Brazil’s indigenous affairs company Funai has referred to as on a prime indigenous chief to clarify her criticism of the right-wing authorities of President Jair Bolsonaro and the impression its dealing with of the Covid-19 disaster has had on native individuals.
* Mexico hopes to end vaccinating its whole inhabitants in opposition to Covid-19 by the finish of subsequent year’s first quarter, Mexico’s deputy well being minister, Hugo Lopez-Gatell, mentioned.
* Trinidad and Tobago mentioned on Monday it was tightening lockdown restrictions for 3 weeks beginning at midnight as the quantity of new Covid-19 circumstances hits document highs and the Caribbean twin-island nation faces a possible scarcity of hospital beds.
Middle East and Africa
* Kuwaiti residents who haven’t been vaccinated in opposition to Covid-19 will be unable to journey overseas from 22 May, the data ministry mentioned.
* Tanzania introduced new anti-coronavirus measures, saying it needed to forestall the importation of new variants.
* Venezuela this month will start medical trials of the Cuban coronavirus vaccine candidate Abdala, and plans to produce sufficient doses domestically to vaccinate 4 million individuals.
* Novavax mentioned it had expanded the late-stage research testing its Covid-19 vaccine candidate to embody up to 3 000 adolescents aged 12 to 17.
* Asian share markets superior marginally on Tuesday as traders regarded to indicators of recovery from the coronavirus pandemic as main economies round the world reopen.
* US manufacturing exercise grew at a slower tempo in April, restrained by shortages of inputs as rising vaccinations and big fiscal stimulus unleashed pent-up demand.
Do you need to know extra about this subject? Sign up for one of News24’s 33 newsletters to obtain the data you need in your inbox. Special newsletters can be found to subscribers.